Policy

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Friends Don't Let Friends: Gripe About Grits

You may not know this about me, but I'm from the South.  Sure I live in North Carolina now and, yeah, I grew up in Miami (so far south it's actually north) but I was born in Georgia and my Grammy is from a small town in South Carolina, so I grew up with sour creme cake, super sweet iced tea and grits. 

And man, do I love me some grits. 

And what's not to love, in my opinion.  Warm and soft, topped with butter and plenty of salt, they are the perfect food anytime of day.  Of course, where they shine is breakfast, because they absorb the flavors you add to them.  Scoop them up with toast, serve them with a savory tofu scramble, or on their own, they're delish.

And we're lucky enough to live right next to a very historic (founded in 1767) and kind of famous (featured in Martha Stewart's listing of artisanal specialties from around the country) grist mill - the Old Mill of Guilford. 


People from all around stop into the beautiful mill with it's tiny store to get flours, dried fruits, mixes and, of course, grits.



Now there are tons of ways people serve grits, they're a great base, but as I mentioned I love them simple - salt, Earth Balance and some fresh pepper.  But I have been known to jazz them up with olive oil and fresh rosemary too.

And cooking grits is easy.  All you need is boiling water, grits and some salt. Boil the water.  Stir in the salt and grits (see amounts by serving below). Reduce the temperature to low (be careful, they can boil over easily and dried on grits are like cement) and cook about 10 -15 minutes until the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Serve.

Servings -

1/2 Serving
Water - 1 Cup
Grits - 3 Tbl
Salt - Dash

1 Serving
Water - 1 and 2/3Cup
Grits - 1/3 Cup
Salt - 1/8 tsp

4 Servings
Water - 6 and 2/3 Cups
Grits - 1 and 1/3 Cups
Salt - 1/2 tsp

6 Servings
Water - 10 Cups
Grits - 2 Cups
Salt - 3/4 tsp

Just an FYI - these are pretty generous servings.  Your yield will be equal to the amount of water shown. 

Slap on some Earth Balance and enjoy!

No comments: