Policy

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Friends Don't Let Friends: Not Like Brussels Sprouts

Brussels sprouts are cruciferous veggies and are related to cabbages, broccoli and kale. They've been cultivated since almost Roman times, but at least the 1200's, as far as we know.

And I think they've been maligned almost as long.




Personally I blame poor cooks for this perception. There are many recipes out there that including steaming and boiling, which, to me, do little to bring out the best in these delicious gems.

But what veggies were not abused by mid-century cooking methods, especially cabbages? These uninspired cooking methods and negative associates were then handed down again and inflicted upon us. I had no idea how many vegetables I actually liked until I started cooking them for myself. Buying fresh, experimenting with grilling and roasting and bringing out the pure flavors of the food in the best way possible. I've never been a person who likes to drown their vegetables in butter, cream sauces or cheese and as I continue to cook and expand my repertoire of ingredients, I'm finding myself liking formerly avoided things more and more.

I did a quick video of my favorite way to cook and eat Brussels Sprouts, roasted with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt.




Brussels sprouts are best eaten in the Fall through the Spring when they are at peak season. I especially love to get them still on the stalk. They're so cute!

Enjoy the video... and enjoy your veggies!


More info:

Health info on Brussels Sprouts

2 comments:

Chicken Boys said...

brussel sprouts need to go back to Roman times and get crucified! I absolutely hate them! I like my veggies, but those are a no-no in my freezer! I don't really care for cabbage, but I'll eat it if prepared right. Give me carrots, corn, broccoli, tomatoes (a fruit, I know) any day. But you can keep the brussel sprouts.

Cheri Newcomb said...

I like to cut in half, sear in a frying pan (small amount of olive oil) add fresh grated nutmeg flakes OR red pepper flakes.

I will try your roasting method, looks wonderful!